We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

It's A Wonderful Lie (#1, Nonfiction)

This year I am reading to learn about myself--that's my challenge to myself. It's A Wonderful Lie: 26 Truths About Life in Your Twenties is my first foray into finding myself through books. I started this book in my sickly, hungover state on New Year's Day and immediately loved each chapter written by a different woman who had struggled through her twenties and somehow made it out alive. This was comforting because sometimes I don't feel like I will make it out of my twenties with my sanity. There is a lot to be said about taking the time to find yourself--everyone has to do it and everyone has to do it in their own way. Sometimes you have reach that extra low point, you have to hit rock bottom--to get to the point where you can see everything in your life clearly. Perspective is what I am searching for--a perch I can nestle into and be satisfied with the way things are right now. I learned from the You're Not That Into Him Either book that there is no meantime--this is the time. It is important to live life as if each day is the time, not just the meantime that you are trying to get through to get to the real time. This is your life now, and you owe it to yourself to make the most of it.

I think it would be good, also, as part of my self-help book challenge to put the books in conversation with one another. I am reading another book right now that can easily be put into conversation with The End of Mr. Y. But more on that when I finish The Celestine Prophecy.

No comments: