We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman (#17, Young Adult)


Loved it. I know how I made a big stink about how Pullman's His Dark Materials series was not Harry Potter, but this book makes it worth suffering through The Subtle Knife. Of the three, The Amber Spyglass was my favorite. It not only handles multiple, converging story lines deftly, but the characters somehow become the kind of characters you never want to say goodbye to. I was afraid of the end of the book because I didn't want to see Lyra and Will and Serafina Pekkala and Iorek Byrnison go. 

While I did find the religious concept matter a bit off putting at times, it didn't really affect my enjoyment of  the book. There is so much more I want to say about it but I don't want to spoil it for others who haven't read it. Seriously, if you liked Harry Potter, you will enjoy Pullman's venture into what some might consider blasphemous fiction. You should run to your local library and check out all three books. Now! 

1 comment:

Bnizzle said...

I hate that you keep posting things I can't read!! I'm into the first one and Karl is into the second.