We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, a Man Who Would Cure the World by Tracy Kidder (#20, Nonfiction)

Now this is nonfiction. What a great book it was, and rather on point for my current 9-5er. Although I am working at a "non-profit" and doing work for the "good of national health," I don't think it is quite on par with the work of Dr. Paul Farmer. Not So Much.

You have to read this one to really appreciate it--you can only be told so much about the amazing life Farmer leads, and the amount of lives he has saved. But to read and see how he moves about the world on a daily basis giving away pretty much every penny he makes to cure diseases in populations that have been left to die slow, painful deaths is ridiculously inspiring. It kind of made me want to be a doctor . . . you know, other than all that blood, cutting and germy stuff. :)

A must read for anyone who wants to be inspired and humbled that: yes, my life is good, and no I am not doing my part.

No comments: