We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Thursday, May 1, 2008

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi (#14, Young Adult)

Where would I be without Avi's The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle? I might not be half the reader I am today had I not stumbled upon this tale of adventure told my the perspective of a strong female narrator. I wish I knew how old I was and how I found this book but I know I was already re-reading it in the sixth grade. Did my childhood best friend Carly recommend it to me? Perhaps, or maybe I saw it on the list for Accelerated Reader and took a chance on it. Whatever the reason, Charlotte Doyle remained a staple in my literary diet for several years after that initial reading.

I checked it out of the library on a whim last time I was there, eager to plunge into a world of rough seas and callous sailors set to corrupt the young Miss Doyle. It was the same satisfying read but I came away wishing there was some sort of romantic element to the plot. I remembered there being one for some odd reason--I must have confused it with the Ann Rinaldi books I read though for there was not one bit. I must have read this before my romantic phase.

All young girls should read this book. It's about independence, speaking your mind and staying true to what you know is right even if it goes against authority.

No comments: