We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman (#15, Young Adult)


You know me by now--I love any type of series, especially if it involves children as the heroes and a world where magical things can happen. The Subtle Knife is the second book in the His Dark Materials series and it picks up right where The Golden Compass left off. I blazed through Book II because I wanted to know what was going to happen to Lyra and Will. 

While I enjoyed The Golden Compass very much, this book left much to be desired. As the middle installment in a trilogy, there is always that danger that it will merely serve as a filler--a bridge to get you to Book III. Sadly I found The Subtle Knife to be just that--a filler to get you to point C. I can't decide if it was the weakened plot or the fact that there wasn't enough background thrown in about Lyra to really make it satisfying. 

This is no Harry Potter but it is amusing. I am onto Book III to find out how it all ends. 

No comments: