We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (#21, Young Adult)

I was slightly prejudiced against this book at first. I checked it out from the library a couple months ago after having read an article about the Mormon author but then never got around to reading it before I had to return it. I don't like how closely Meyer spells her first name to mine, and also, it's a bestseller. And if you have been reading Booknymphs, you know how Becky and I feel about bestsellers. But alas, when on vacation at the beach, it is quite necessary to be in possession of several beach reads. A quick trip to the Wal Mart and this book and the second one in the series were the only thing I would deign to read so I bought them and haven't regretted it since. 

Meyer is a Mormon, but she writes about vampires and eternal damnation. I was super skeptical because the writing is not all that great, but I like the vampire theme. I like how she plants the seeds for the subsequent books. Meyer is a storyteller and her twist on vampire lore is interesting. I am not saying this book was the best book I have ever read, but I am saying that if you are going to be sitting on the beach, or by the side of a pool, this is a great beach read. Once I started reading, I didn't want to put it down. 

No comments: