We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Saturday, July 12, 2008

You Shall Know Our Velocity! by Dave Eggers (#20, Contemporary Literature)

Yes, I know. I already read Dave Eggers this year. But after reading What is the What and really liking it, I decided I needed more Eggers. I had a random conversation with a customer at Pie one afternoon who also happened to be reading What is the What. He told me I should check out the other books too, but that I should start my exploration with You Shall Know Our Velocity! I complied and went immediately to the library and checked out a copy. 

I loved the premise of this book. There are two guys, Hand and Will, who need to get rid of 32,000 dollars and fast. They plan a seven day trip around the world to randomly hand out the cash to unsuspecting locals. I was hooked in the beginning but I found the plot to stagnate in the middle. There definitely was not enough momentum to make this a quick read, but I don't think it was Eggers goal to really grip us and send us on a fun-filled adventure. There is something he is saying about the world and it is at times quite a depressing read. I didn't like the narrator, especially after I found out he was quite unreliable. I know this wasn't nonfiction, but it was fiction parading as nonfiction that was really quite fictitious--if that makes any sense at all. Read the book and you will know what I mean. 

Would I recommend this to a friend, knowing that my enjoyment of it was short lived? Probably not, but if I did, there would be a lot talk about. (Hmm, Becky? You ready for another Prep?...)

1 comment:

Bnizzle said...

Hmmm. . . tempting, but I may just stick with books by Dave Eggers that come recommended and avoid the ones you need a fellow commiserator :)