We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcom Gladwell (#25, Nonfiction)

I was fairly excited to read this book when I found it on the shelf of my new/temporary home. Who doesn't want to learn about making the "right" split second decision? I'm sure I can use a little education on making better decisions-- that is for certain.

Blink was interesting at first and I immediately started relaying the studies to friends, because the results of some are astonishing. The mind is an amazing thing, and this book shows you that often times your mind has made a decision without you even being aware of it yet. Pretty cool. And of course I liked the section where they interview couples and the lead psychologist could predict with 90+ percent accuracy whether or not the couple would stay together after watching them interact for a mere 15 minutes. Maybe I can take him around with me on all of my first dates--save myself the time! ;)

But....then.... I got bored. I talked with a friend about it last night, and she said that maybe it's because Blink is more of a book you may be assigned to read in a sociology or psychology class. I'm not sure I agree, but there was something about the second half that lost my attention. Maybe it's because it didn't reveal the secret to how I am supposed to make these split second decisions! Come on book, I need you to solve all my problems!

Either way, it had its interesting moments and I really enjoyed some of the information I learned about the mysteries of the brain.

No comments: