We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (#26, Young Adult)

I know, I know. What is with all the young adult books that I keep reading? First it was the Golden Compass series, then the Twilight series, and now this. 

Let me introduce you to Percy Jackson, the equivalent of Harry Potter in a world controlled by Greek gods and goddesses. While it is not nearly as well written as the Harry Potter series, it is still a worthwhile foray into young adult fiction. I rekindled my interest in Greek mythology and found myself laughing at the pop culture references aimed at tweens. I found myself enjoying Percy's adventures and I may have sighed a few times as he went about learning his destiny. 

Was I floored by the writing? No. Was I completely absorbed in the world depicted? No. Was I entertained and intrigued? Yes. You can count on the next few books in the series popping up on here but it might not be for a while. I feel like I need to put some quality reads up soon or else I will lose all credibility as an English major. 

No comments: