We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Thursday, October 4, 2007

In the Heart of the Sea--The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick (#29, Nonfiction)

I am a lover of classic novels, a fact that has been well established by my likes and dislikes of my choices so far. It seemed "classic" was going to be my only tried and true category, but alas, then there was In the Heart of the Sea. A well written, nonfiction, novel that deals with the elements is my other clear pick. I read Issac's Storm, the story of the tragic hurricane in Galveston, Texas in 1900, years ago and loved it. Not only are nonfiction novels teaching you something, but In the Heart of the Sea, like Issac's Storm, is a true adventure. I am a sucker for a good action movie or book, so when it is a true story that is well told, all the better! Of course it was also extra interesting to read about the history and the people of Nantucket, an island that I have visited and adored.

Philbrick is an amazing storyteller. He was able to mesh together various accounts of the survivors of the Whaleship Essex along with historical data from dozens of other sources. He did his research, and it shows. Often times when I am reading a nonfiction novel and the author digresses from the main topic for some sort of background history lesson my attention is lost, but not with Philbrick. He hooked me from the first pages of the preface--how can you not be hooked by the description of a whaleboat happening upon two emaciated, near dead, men sucking the last of the marrow from human bones?

The story of the Essex is a tragic one, but it happened and I am glad I am slightly knowledgeable of it now. What amazes me most about the end of the story is that many of the survivors, who spent three months floating hopelessly at sea with hardly any food or water after a spiteful whale capsized their ship, went straight back into the whaling business! I think I would have a major fear of the ocean, and whales, after the whole ordeal. Apparently they are strong folk, those Nantucketers!

4 comments:

Karl Wirsing said...

I'm glad my recommendation neither disappointed nor took more than a few minutes to read.

Bnizzle said...

I told you I am going to finish the 50! All I need is a little doubt and look what happens? :)

Karl Wirsing said...

now if i'd only say something like, hey, i don't believe you can get a job...

Bnizzle said...

That would probably help