We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Monday, October 29, 2007

Veronica by Mary Gaitskill (#36, Contemporary Literature)

I am starting to come to the conclusion that I have way too sunny of a disposition to ever enjoy "dark" books. Two in a row I have read that could have been works of nonfiction and neither one of them did I enjoy.

Veronica is a story about a young girl who becomes a model and it basically just follows her through her life. She is retelling the story as an older and ill woman. What is sad about it is that she meets many people who at the time she thinks are so important, but when she is remembering them, she can't remember why she thought they were important. And the even sadder part is that in the end I don't even know that she had realized what was important, or even found anything she considered important.

Veronica isn't the girl who the story is about, Veronica is an older woman she befriends who ends up dying of AIDS. There was supposed to be some deep connection between the two, which there was to a degree, but I found it lacking and never really understood what the author was trying to get at. I suppose the message it is supposed to send is that external youth and beauty are fleeting. Maybe?

No comments: