We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier (#34, Reader's Choice)

Maybe if I had given my undivided attention to the Red Sox/Indians game the Red Sox would have stopped sucking so bad, but once again I couldn't put down the book. I tried to leave it at home, but I actually turned around and came back and grabbed it. What is more important, being social or finishing 50 books in one year? Unfortunately I was way too social all summer, which is why I am many books behind, so now my social life pays the price. I will not back down on a challenge.

I picked The Virgin Blue because I really liked Girl with a Pearl Earring. The Virgin Blue didn't disappoint, yet it still lacked something that I can't put my finger on. I guess I have a hard time when a love story materializes out of nowhere, and an even harder time when a marriage unravels out of nowhere. You may be surprised in real life when what you believe is the perfect marriage falls apart, but in a book you are in the person's head, I should have seen it coming. But I suppose I should give the author some leeway when there is a supernatural twist to the book and the unraveling of a marriage fits in nicely with the creepy coincidences.

Sometimes I really dislike the switching of narrators, but Chevalier does it with ease and clarity. Also, turns out I am a sucker for historical fiction. It is always more fun when something could have happened, right?

No comments: