We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie (#4, Fiction)

I think I missed the boat on this one. Either that, or this book missed the boat.

Every now and then I caught a glimpse of an interesting story, or I suddenly had the desire to keep reading to find out more about this "Enchantress". But, whatever grabbed hold of me, quickly let go, and I was back to just wishing I could finish it and move on to the next book.

There were a lot of characters and twists in time and place that made me have to think extra hard about who was talking and whether they were in the present or the past. A bit more work than desirable.

I would like to think that because this was a book club pick I will be able to hash out my issues on Saturday. Unfortunately, I have a sneaking suspicion that this book was unable to hold the interest of many book club members. I predict a 30% completion rate.

No comments: