We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World by Rita Golden Gelman (#1, Nonfiction)

What an appropriate book to start the new year. I am planning on becoming a nomad this summer and Rita Golden Gelman's Tales of a Female Nomad really gave me the travel bug. I want to visit the Galapagos Islands and I want to live with a family in Bali and teach the local kids English. I want to traipse through the jungle, observing orangutans. I want to live in New Zealand and eat fresh mussels everyday.

While I did not enjoy Gelman's writing style--it was a little too sparse and distant at times--I did enjoy sharing the journey with her. Her travel stories were interesting and I admire her for having the guts to live her life as a nomad. I admire her for living an extraordinary life and sharing it with the world.

If you liked Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat Pray Love you will like Tales of a Female Nomad, especially if you thought Gilbert was whiny and annoying. Gelman is neither, and while Gilbert's novel is more fluffy and written, Gelman sticks to the facts. She doesn't exaggerate or embellish and this is perhaps what makes the book so refreshing.

No comments: