We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington (#1!!!!, Classic)

Annnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddddd.... back to #1 again. Hello 2009! What little treats do you have in store for me? One could only imagine when it comes to me. Six new places to live? Another new job? Fame and fortune? Maybe the start of a new master's degree? We will see, we will see.

You can find this book on the Harvard list of the 100 greatest novels of all time. I had never heard of it, and honestly, I'm quite surprised. The book has all those classical themes that would go perfectly in a high school or college English class: the rise and fall of an American family, industrialization, hubris, dark suspense and a not entirely happy or unhappy ending

I swung back and forth from loving the book to hating it. But, it wasn't actually me loving or hating the book it was more me loving or hating the characters. OH the incense I felt for Georgie Amberson Minafer, and then he goes and totally surprises you!

I recommend it.

No comments: