We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut (#2, Contemporary Literature)

I'm not exactly sure what to say about this one. It was not nearly as random at Tom Robbins, yet still absolutely bizarre.

It started out intriguing and seemed like it was going to be at least moderately straightforward, but then it just kept getting a little bit more and more odd. Not odd in a bad way, just odd.

I was looking at reviews of the book and I found one that quite simply sums up how I feel about Galapagos. The reviewer said something to the effect of, "you keep reading, waiting for the big, suspenseful twist to happen, and it never does." That is exactly how I felt! On the back you read about this Apocalypse occurring and a new civilization being born from a group stuck on the Galapagos; yet, 3/4 of the book takes place before they even get to the island. I suppose I expected more about the "new" generations. Although, I suppose the point is that the "new" line evolves into much smaller-brained, fish-like being, so there really isn't all that much to tell.

It was interesting, random, and funny. I found myself laughing out loud a few times on the metro yesterday... it was definitely worth the time.

No comments: