We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver (#9, Nonfiction)

I really enjoyed this book. So much so that I think I have been boring people with stories, anecdotes, and slightly uppity behavior when saying things such as, "Where did you get THOSE strawberries? I bet THEY are not Local." (imagine me with my hands on my hips and a bit of a swagger)

This book was really interesting to me for two specific reasons. First of all, this was kind of my life. I didn't live for one whole year on only local foods, but I did have a gigantic garden that was like a second job for everyone in my family, and we ordered the cute itty bitty turkey chicks to raise for Thanksgiving. And let me tell you--Kingsolver is dead on when she says it doesn't matter if you name those chicks, because they get ugly fast. Ugly. Real Ugly. Seriously. Yet, regardless of how gross they grow up to look and what a mucky, disgusting mess they turn their living quarters into, I think I would have disowned my parents if they made me participate in the whole beheading of the turkeys, no gracias.

Secondly, I found that reading this book was perfectly timed because I am planning on having my very own garden at my new apartment! So, next winter if you want some delicious homemade pesto I am where it's at! (fingers crossed!)

I definitely hope to follow some of her habits, and hopefully I will have a smaller carbon footprint because of it.

No comments: