We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Sunday, March 29, 2009

My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler (#7, Nonfiction)

This was an impulse purchase from the Buy 1, Get 1 Half Off pile at Borders. I thought maybe I would laugh a lot and get some tips to have my own crazy horizontal life but alas, all I got was a less funny, less satisfying female version of Tucker Max. Handler's stories in My Horizontal Life are not that funny. There is potential for goodness here, but I might have only cracked up twice while reading this book.

Maybe I am just not a fan of Chelsea Handler. Maybe if I watched her show on E! I could appreciate the humor more but I found myself cringing at the poor quality of the writing. Her stories were believable in the sense that they were so boring and pointless that they had to be true. Why else would you write a book with really boring stories of your so called crazy sexcapades? Some stories had such potential for true hilarity but most just fell flat. I mean there are midgets and jungle fever and poop stories. How can you go wrong? Apparently, you can.

No comments: