We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Friday, March 20, 2009

Woman in the Dark by Dashiell Hammett (# 12, Fiction)

I went to the library last week with the intention of picking up a few books. I left with ten. Two of the ten are over 1,000 pages.... yeah, I think I have a problem. My eyes are always bigger than what I can handle--pretty much when it comes to anything... food, books, plans... you name it. I guess I'm just an eternal optimist.

Dashiell Hammett is the author of The Maltese Falcon, which was on my list, but it was not there so I grabbed this instead. If you have ever seen an old school murder mystery movie like The Maltese Falcon or Rear Window, that is exactly how this book reads. I could just imagine a dark and drizzly night with a woman in 40's styled garb running down the street with an erie voiced narrator introducing the scene--very twilight zone-esque.

It was a quick and enjoyable read. Apparently there is a movie based on one of the characters in the book, so I think I will have to see what that is all about.

No comments: