We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Friday, March 6, 2009

Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner (#11, Chick Lit)

Oh dear what was I thinking? I read Good in Bed years ago and found it falling far from my taste in books.

I need to get something off my chest about this author. It may come off bad, but I just don't relate to overweight characters in books--and that is a theme that I believe is present in all of her books. In Little Earthquakes I probably liked the character (of course her name had to be becky) less because she was described as obese. Does that make me a horrible person?

But, that was not anywhere near the forefront of why I wouldn't recommend this book to most people. First off it's about four women about my age, but they all meet in a yoga pregnancy class... yeah, the book is about babies, husbands, affairs, balancing work and family--not exactly up my ally. It was moderately entertaining with some nice friendshipy type scenes, but Weiner's writing is so mediocre. Actually I would say it's 75% mediocre and 25% bad.

I have purposely been avoiding Weiner since 2002 when I read her first novel, but I fell prey to this sitting on my mom's bookshelf in the guest room. I knew what I was getting myself into, but sometimes you just gotta read the fluff.

No comments: