We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Monday, March 30, 2009

The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane (#14, Classic)

Apparently everyone and their dog read this book between the ages of 8 and 13. Not me. I waited until I was good and ready at 28.

It's short, it's easy, and it's about the civil war. The book is very descriptive--but I found it really hard to envision the scenes he was describing. There is very little dialogue or story line other than the thoughts of a youth in the midst of his first battle. I did find the theme of abandoning very interesting, and something that has always been missing in all the war books and movies I have read and seen.

I think that this may be one of those books that can be adapted very well to screen, so I am definitely planning on seeing the movie.

No comments: