We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Emperor's Children by Clair Messud (#10, Fiction)

Um. So, you know how Holden from The Catcher in the Rye really bothered me? Well, I feel like this author stole from J.D. Salinger and put Holden into this book. Not a complete plagiarism, but Bootie is way too reminiscent to not make the connection, at least for me.

I really did not like this book. I tried. I really tried to like Danielle, and maybe Julius, but I just couldn't do it. Everyone was just too into talking nonsense. If there are people out there that actually talk like they do--so philosophical and meaningless-- then point me in the opposite direction!

The book sleeve makes it sound like it could be fairly apropos for someone my age and in my place in life. Will I ever find someone special, and will I ever find something that sets me apart and I can really make a difference in the world? But, the author just makes these really annoying, self absorbed, stupid, lazy characters who are too busy looking for perfection and are therefore above anything but perfection in the meantime.

I read this for book club, so I'm definitely interested to see what others think of it. I have yet to talk to anyone who really liked it, I'm thinking it's going to be less than enthusiastically received.

No comments: