We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Colors Insulting To Nature by Cintra Wilson (#45, Reader's Choice)

Colors Insulting To Nature has plagued me for ten days of tortured reading. I am quite unsure why I soldiered on, intent on finishing this disaster of a book. Perhaps it was the fact that I had already invested time in it? That with only six books left and less than two weeks to accomplish our feat, it was too late to not finish it.

I should have known that when I attempted this book two years ago, borrowing it from the library in January and letting it sit on the floor for three weeks, that it was not to be read. The cover is mildly interesting though. And ok, the premise has promise as well, but it felt like I was reading a badly written piece of camp. I have to give credit to that one semester I took Gay, Lesbian and Transgender Studies for even being able to recognize the sheer campiness of the book. I mean, our main character's name is Liza--that should have been a dead giveaway.

I disliked the main character and that she possessed no redeeming qualities. Even with a satire, you need to at least like one character! You need to want them to succeed, to have a somewhat happy ending. This was cardboard crap in terms of satisfying me. The ending fizzled out. The first third of the book was at least interesting, but the rest of the story seemed too fake, too stupid, too Hollywood trash.

No comments: