We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Love in a Fallen City by Eileen Chang (#42, Classic)

I think this was my first Far East novel I have read all year. Steph went through a phase, but it's never really been a theme that interests me all that much. I did enjoy Memoirs of a Geisha, but it was certainly not my favorite novel.

Love in a Fallen City is a collection of short stories written by Eileen Chang, a native of China in the early twentieth century. Some of the stories take place in Hong Kong, and some in Shanghai. I am ashamed to say that I had no idea that Hong Kong was invaded by Japan just hours after the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941. How did I miss this important piece of history?

The stories were good, somewhat reminiscent of Jhumpha Lahiri's Interpreter of Maladies. Different cultures, but the same ideas between the characters dealing with issues of assimilation, for those from Shanghai moving to Hong Kong, cultural differences, class differences and how all of these factors affect relationships between families and strangers.

No comments: