We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Monday, December 31, 2007

Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs (#50, Nonfiction)

What a great book. If Augusten wasn't gay I think I may have to date him . . . well, if he stopped killing small animals. I don't think I could have picked a better book to finish up the fifty. It is a travesty that this book sat in suitcases, on my nightstand, in a box, and then a bookshelf in the other room for so many months just waiting to be read. But, I suppose everything happens for a reason, or else I may have read a less than par book for # 50 and that would be far worse.

A year or so ago I read Running With Scissors, which I enjoyed, but felt was slightly too bizarre for my taste. Magical Thinking was a vast improvement. Each chapter is a short, witty story about his life--whether it be how he swears his parents abducted him from The Vanderbilt family, or his sexual encounters with various catholic priests. It had me laughing out loud and sharing the especially funny stories with whoever would listen. Read this book.

And I am done. Wow, 50 books in one year. I can remember when we concocted this little plan, probably sitting in Starbucks drinking white chocolate mochas. I know I went through a Debbie Downer phase back in October when I felt like I wasn't able to give each book the time it deserved, but I am glad I did it, and next year I will continue on my journey to read every single book there is . . . well, at least all the ones worthy of my notice.

No comments: