We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Sunday, December 2, 2007

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby (#43, Contemporary Literature)

Why did I do this to myself? How did I wander to the H section at the library and decide, of all the available Nick Hornby books, to read High Fidelity? Reading a book that ponders the entire nature of relationships and break-ups seemed like a good idea at the time. I thought that perhaps I would learn something while being entertained by a book hailed as "fast, fun, and remarkably deft."

I had originally wanted to see the movie ever since Andy pulled a Rob Gordon, or what I am now referring to as a Rob Gordon. When things ended, both times, he sent me emails demanding to know what went wrong. He wanted to understand so as to prevent what happened to us from happening again to him in future relationships, although he claimed that he couldn't see himself dating anyone else. Ha. If you sense bitterness, you are not far off but that is reserved from my other blog.

High Fidelity is hard to swallow at times, but probably just because it hit too close to home. I feel like my last relationship had a lot in common with Rob and Laura's. It was pretty scary when she said something to Rob that I could see myself saying to Andy: "I want to try and explain this properly. OK, I thought we were bound by one simple little cord, our relationship, and if I cut it then that would be that. So I cut it, but that wasn't that. There wasn't just one cord, there were hundreds, thousands, everywhere I turned...oh millions of things. And then you were more upset than I thought you'd be, and that made it harder..." (273).

Despite my emotional baggage towards this book's theme, I really did enjoy it. I have a newfound love for lists, and might just start making up top 5 lists to entertain myself. I watched the movie and must say that it stayed very true to the book. Hornby is a great writer, knows his shit, and didn't let Hollywood wreck his masterpiece.

No comments: