We survived our 50 books in one year challenge. In 2009 we are still reading...

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd (#43 Reader's Choice)

I read The Secret Life of Bees almost exactly four years ago. Wow, has it really been that long? I don't remember if it was before, during or after having bronchitis, but it was while I was in Chicago for Christmas '03. Apparently times change, but the authors I read don't . . . :)

Sue Monk Kidd. I really don't have much to say about the book. Was it great? Absolutely not. Was it horrible . . . noooo. It did fit the bill of being able to finish reading it in a matter of hours. It was what I call the classic beach read. In order to be a beach read by my standards a book must have the following traits: 1) Be a quick read. This doesn't mean it has to be short, rather the prose must be quick to follow and I should be turning pages like crazy. 2) There has to be some sort of secret/mystery, and not one that I can figure out by reading the back or the first five pages. 3) Most importantly, I must not want to turn back time and unread the novel once I am done. ie--Prep, Wedding in December, Vanishing Acts--my list can go on and on. I really have become a book snob over the past 5-6 years.

No comments: